Team Fortress 2- Scattergun

I was commissioned to make some of the various props for the game for the engineer and scout classes from Valve’s Team fortress 2. I’ve never played it before, but it looks silly and fun. Silly characters with big silly cartoonish weapons!

This was done during a 1 1/2 month long propbuilding blitz, (when I was also making 5 other props at the same time), so please excuse the lack of photos.

First thing to tackle was the main body. The barrels were made from pvc tubing, and the drum is from a plastic bucket that just happened to be the perfect size! I cut the threading off the top, and the bottom of the bucket off.

I tacked 3 pieces of plywood together, and cut the stack into a disc sized to the inner diameter of the drum. After popping one of the layers off of the stack and set it aside, I laid out and drilled holes for the barrel to fit through. The barrels were also glued together using epoxy resin.

After the holes were drilled, those were split apart, they were glued down onto the barrel. The second one was spaced apart to add stability to the barrels, and they were glued into the drum.

The top plate was were made using a 1/4″ thick strip of poplar & scraps. They were sanded, primed, and glued onto the barrels.

…and the sight bits added as well. The barrel also had the hole for the shells on the side added.

Here’s the trigger & pump handle setup. If i had a compression spring on hand I would have used that for the trigger instead of the curved spring! The pump handle is machined aluminum, because it would break if a scout got too excited.

A quick test of the mech once it’s enclosed! I removed the pump handle spring to make sure its range of motion was correct as well!

A building frenzy happened, and I had misplaced my camera at the time, so there’s a bit of a lack of photos here. In a nutshell, I took the third disk, added a scuare plate onto it, and bolted that to the handle from the back

Now for the stock on the bottom! This was built from pine. Notice the big blazing gap on the bottom? That is where the the tape and he green Post-it comes in. The post it was folded in half to make it easier to wedge between the barrels, then taped down.

Bondo auto body filler was then smeared and pressed in to the gap, and once it began to set, I used a chisel to cut off the excess. The bottom stock was removed (easily since it wasn’t adhered to the barrels to begin with!) then refined.

Aaand another big ol’ photogap. The rest of this was pretty much assembly and painting. I used dark grey primer for the metal parts, and a lot of dry brushing using some metallic grey spraypaints sprayed into a spraypaint cap. Some holes were drilled about 14″ into the area that housed the trigger, and cut off screws heads were added.


 

Here are a couple finished photos of the project!

tf2_scattergun_1

tf2_scattergun

tf2_scattergun_3